Under the quarantine of COVID-19, it can be easy to eat all the junk food in your pantry and lose track of a regular eating schedule as the hours and days run together.
After the first week at home cooking my favorite meals and eating aimlessly all day, I realized the COVID-19 situation looked like it would last longer than originally expected. It was time to make a change. I researched the Keto diet and decided to give it a try now that I have so much extra time to cook at home, including sitting down for breakfast.
Since starting Keto, I have learned to cook many wonderful healthy recipes and a couple that were not so great, so I scratched them out. My family is enjoying the new food options and we are all feeling healthier and not so sluggish. We are all in this together!
My favorite recipe so far is this delicious side dish:
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
● 47 calories
● 5g carbs (2g fiber)
● 2g protein
● 2g fat
● 3/4 strip, cooked bacon (6g)
● 1/8 head, small cabbage (90g)
● optional - 1 dash black pepper (0g)
1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp.
2. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve drippings in skillet.
3. Cook and stir cabbage in hot bacon drippings over medium heat for 6 minutes or until cabbage wilts.
4. Crumble bacon over cabbage.
5. Stir and simmer until bacon is warmed.
6. Season with black pepper.
In addition to eating healthy, getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day is a great way to stay active. Give this recipe a try for your next dinner meal!